Even with redoing ever flat fell seam at least once and with absolutely no instructions the skirt is finished.
|In process: dealing with evil|
There were many hair pulling moments but I am not dissatisfied with the end result. The pleats were another issue. I cannot get my head around how to make pleats. I mean I know how to do it in theory and I did it for the brown skirt. However, it takes me a hours to get them to work correctly. The first time I tried the pleats, I did them completely backwards. Thank goodness I had only basted them in!
|Back of skirt and|
I added the yoke and added some hooks on some self fabric strings I made. Adding the grommets to the back of the yoke was almost a fail. The grommets I have just were not working but then I found some scrapbook grommets which did work. Whew.
|Close up of buttons and|
I found the buttons in the same store as the hooks. I love the buttons!! My sewing machine did not love putting in the button holes! In fact, the machine came to a halt when there were 5 buttonholes left. Only after a significant rest was the machine able to trundle on.
I would like to add a few more utility strings. I have 2 more hooks and a bunch of D rings that I could add to the skirt.
While I like the resulting skirt, I cannot recommend this pattern if you do not have a lot of sewing experience. Not only do you need to figure out what order and how to put the outfit together, you need to determine what facings you will need and construct them. Pattern instructions are a security blanket for me. I feel safe knowing that if I run into problems, I can just refer to the instruction. Here, I was flying without the net and as I put this skirt together I kept wondering if I was doing things correctly. The seam ripper was used more in this project than any other project for a long while.