I want to thank Debi for chiming in on the likely date of this pattern. She really confirmed what I thought! And, of course if you have not read her blog...well you need to do so immediately!
I really do not think so! So far, working with Simplicity 3835 has been a joy. Simple and quick to put together. The hardest bit so far has been pattern adjustments and those were merely tedious and time consuming.
Pattern adjustments included an FBA….it was needed this time. Also increased the width of the skirt pieces by a couple of inches. I left the back piece alone because it fit but if I were to make this again, I would add a smidge to the lower portion of the back piece so that it would be easier to ease into the back skirt piece. I also made the ties double...I had the fabric and it looks more finished to my eye this way.
This has gone together so quickly, I wanted to do a marathon sewing day so I would just finish it. However, a clearer mind won out; no need to get tired and make silly mistakes. Also, even though not done, I am thinking of making this pattern up again in a more practical fabric.
Construction is unusual for me. The pattern has you make the front first, then the back and then you put it all together!
|Love the v at the waist|
|You can see how the front|
is sewn completely before the back
The skirt is attached to the bodice using a technique you see all the time in 1930s patterns: fold over the seam allowance and top stitch on. It was really easy after the flat fell seams of last week! To do this, I measured and measured. I also marked the placement on the bodice with one of those funky air erasing pens. On the back, I hand pasted the skirt onto the bodice before sewing it on. I did not do that with the front but if you have to do this technique, I recommend the hand basting. It really does save time.