I managed to finish up Simplicity 1620. Boy do I like wearing full gathered skirts. I do not, however, like attaching them to a bodice or hemming them! What is worse is when your camera disappears for days so you cannot document the finished product. Found the camera and here I am.
|Love the piping.|
Attaching the skirt was problematic magnified by my lovely piping. Getting the skirt to lay nicely after being sewn required a couple of tries. I did not use a waist stay because the selvedges are at the waist. There should be no stretching of the waist.
I used an invisible zipper because that is what I had on hand. Went in easily, by hand.
Hemming the skirt was another matter entirely. I expect putting in the zipper to be a slow process because I need to make sure everything turns out lined up. However, hemming should be quick and easy. What with measuring, pinning, ironing and actually sewing, I must have spent no less than 3 hours on the skirt hem. Probably more. Just the sewing of the hem took over an hour and a half. Yuppers, I timed myself and I felt as if I was sewing rather fast.
|Self timer catches me in action.|
Here you can see there is quite a bit
of ease through the lower part of the
bodice even without the FBA.
Once I found the camera, I tried the self timer function to get pictures of the dress being worn. Wow was that something. It turned out better than I thought….though the first couple of tries did not include full bodies. I found a place in my front yard where I could achieve that.
|Yes, there is a street light in my front yard.|
It was put there by a previous owner
and it is kinda goofy and kinda cool.
I am wearing the dress with a petticoat but not a very full petticoat. It should look better with the fuller petticoat. Note to self: make bigger petticoat. Oh, yeah, I have one half finished. Better get on that!
My thoughts on this Simplicity pattern - nice and easy. I had read some horror stories about vintage Simplicity patterns and I did not have a problem with the pattern or fitting.