Tuesday, May 10, 2011

First Sundress of the Season


 I managed to finish up Simplicity 1620.  Boy do I like wearing full gathered skirts.  I do not, however, like attaching them to a bodice or hemming them!  What is worse is when your camera disappears for days so you cannot document the finished product.  Found the camera and here I am.
Love the piping.

Without petticoat
Attaching the skirt was problematic magnified by my lovely piping.  Getting the skirt to lay nicely after being sewn required a couple of tries.  I did not use a waist stay because the selvedges are at the waist.  There should be no stretching of the waist.

I used an invisible zipper because that is what I had on hand.  Went in easily, by hand.

Hemming the skirt was another matter entirely.  I expect putting in the zipper to be a slow process because I need to make sure everything turns out lined up.  However, hemming should be quick and easy.  What with measuring, pinning, ironing and actually sewing, I must have spent no less than 3 hours on the skirt hem.  Probably more.  Just the sewing of the hem took over an hour and a half.  Yuppers, I timed myself and I felt as if I was sewing rather fast.
Self timer catches me in action.
Here you can see there is quite a bit
of ease through the lower part of the
bodice even without the FBA.

Once I found the camera, I tried the self timer function to get pictures of the dress being worn.  Wow was that something.  It turned out better than I thought….though the first couple of tries did not include full bodies.  I found a place in my front yard where I could achieve that.


Yes, there is a street light in my front yard.
It was put there by a previous owner
and it is kinda goofy and kinda cool.


I am wearing the dress with a petticoat but not a very full petticoat.  It should look better with the fuller petticoat.  Note to self: make bigger petticoat.  Oh, yeah, I have one half finished.  Better get on that!

My thoughts on this Simplicity pattern - nice and easy.  I had read some horror stories about vintage Simplicity patterns and I did not have a problem with the pattern or fitting.



4 comments:

Lizzy said...

Nice job, I would like to see the pictures bigger, Ilove the fabric too

AmelieNoMori said...

Cute dress! The fabric is nice.
I'm the same as you: I love full gathered skirts but making them is not my favourite part. It's really time consuming... ^^;

spookie said...

4 stars, I love the fabric and the dress looks really nice on you. An extra star for the street light in your front yard. I would love one.

Hello to big, black and white who says "meow."

Rita said...

Aw...you probably do not remember the streetlight in the front yard when you stopped by...ever so long ago!

The big black and white boy sends lots of purrs your way.