The first item coming off of my December list is this UFO. It has been sitting on my sewing table for about a year and a half. It will be off of the table by the end of 2010.
A year and a half on from the point of just giving up because the bodice was inches bigger than the skirt which made putting them together seem impossible, I have learned many skills which would have prevented this from occurring.
In fact, many problems I encountered with this pattern I would not now encounter.
There are a number of reasons this dress became an UFO;
- I didn’t like the fabric. This is now a no-no for me. If I don’t like the fabric, no matter what, I do not buy the fabric. The irony is not just that I don’t like the fabric but I spent more money for it than I normally did. Also, it is a cotton stretch….ugh.
- I did not know about FBAs at this time so I cut the bodice to fit what I thought was the correct bust size. Wrong! I had so many fitting issues because the bodice gaped at the arms. Much fiddling occurred to try and fix that. A simple FBA would have resolved that issue!
- I had never eased in anything. You will note there are no sleeves in this dress because at this point in time sleeves scared me. It wasn’t until I picked this back up today when the lightbulb went off and I figured I could just ease the bodice into the skirt. Duh….how simple. Never occurred to me when I was first making the dress.
- I didn’t know about different types of interfacing and the one I have is too heavy/thick. This problem still exists but I if I made this up now, it wouldn’t.
- The ribbons on the pleats just would not press correctly. I now know what to do to fix this and may work on this before I go to sleep tonight.
- Zippers scared me. Not any more.
- I was making this to go to a party. What was I thinking??? I didn’t love this outfit so why would I hurry to complete it to wear to a party? Once the party got close and I had issues, this was tossed aside with pleasure.
- Hubris: I seriously thought I would be able to whip this together in a few days….right! Now that would be a possibility but then….no way.
Current Status: Bodice and skirt have been sewn together! It did take a while to ease the bodice into the skirt but it was doable.